Welcome to the official web site of the Town of Newfields, NH

Annual Report

Appointments with Town Officials

Boat Registrations

Building Permits

Dog Licenses



Oil-Burning Equipment Installation

Property Taxes

Register to Vote

Swimming Pools

Tax Appeals

Tax Relief 

Town Hall Rental

Trash & Recycling

Vanity License Plates

Vehicle Registration

Vehicle Title Law

Vital Records — Births, Marriages, Deaths


The Town Clerk/Tax Collector is located in the Town Offices on the ground level in the Town Hall. Access is through the entrance at the rear of the building.  Office hours are Monday - Friday 8:30am through 2:30pm and Tuesday evenings from 6 to 8pm. 

Town Clerk/Tax Collector Sue McKinnon can help you with the Town business listed below. This list is not exhaustive — if your topic is not listed, feel free to call the Town Offices at 603.772.5070 and ask for more information.

All documents listed on this page are in .pdf format. In order to view and print these, you will need to download and install the free program: Adobe Acrobat Reader. 

Appointments with Town Officials

Please contact Sue or Donna at the Town Offices 603.772.5070 to make appointments with the following Town Officials:

  • Building Inspector

  • Road Agent

  • Selectmen (Tuesday meeting agenda additions)

  • Zoning Board of Adjustment

Dog Licenses

A new adult dog should be licensed immediately with the Town Clerk.  A puppy may be licensed as soon as it is 4 months old.  The license year for dogs is May 1 - April 30. The license may be obtained prior to the April 30 expiration date and are available beginning January 1. The fees are as follows:



Spayed Female / Neutered Male


Dogs under 7 months


Senior Citizen (65+ Years - first animal only)


A current rabies certificate, proof of spaying or neutering (if necessary) or previous year's dog license are required for licensing.

There is a $1 per month late fee for each month after May 31st. If you fail to license your dog, a fine of $25 will be issued by the Newfields Police Department.

Vehicle Registration

Please come to the Newfields Town Office to register your vehicles. All vehicles that travel over the road are required to be registered. This includes cars, trucks, tractors, trailers, motorcycles, RV’s, street rods, construction equipment, farm tractors etc. You will be required to pay a fee to the Town of Newfields and a fee to the State of NH-DMV. The town fee is based on the year and retail list price of the vehicle. This is a property tax which is tax deductible. The State fee is based on the weight of the vehicle and is not tax deductible. 

Registration renewals are done yearly in the owner’s birth month. The renewal month for leased vehicles and vehicles registered in the name of a corporation, partnership, or other legal entity is determined by the first letter or number of the company name. 

Vehicle inspections are also required yearly and are due in the month of renewal with a grace period of ten days per RSA 266:1. Newly registered vehicles need to be inspected 10 days from date of registration with the town clerk. Inspections may be done at any of the state authorized Vehicle Registration Stations. For more information on the vehicle registration and inspection process visit the FAQs on the NH Dept of Motor Vehicles web site.

On-line Registration at Town Offices

The Town of Newfields is on-line with the Division of Motor Vehicles for registrations.  As an on-line municipal agent, data is made available instantaneously to the DMV. The Town of Newfields can issue vanity plates, conservation plates and state park plates. We can also replace lost, stolen or damaged plates and issue certified copies of registrations. We can renew vehicle registrations with weights up to 26,000 lbs.

Vanity Plates

Vanity passenger plates are available with seven digits; conservation "Moose" plates are available with six digits. Motorcycle plates are available with five digits.  The vanity plate fee is $40 and all applications for vanity plates must go directly to Concord for approval.  You may check availability on-line on the NH Division of Motor Vehicles web pages. 

Conservation Plates

The revenues from the sale of the conservation plates directly benefit existing state conservation, wildlife and historic preservation programs and will be used to conserve land, restore historic building, plant wildflowers, and implement local resource conservation plans and survey rate plants and animals.  The Conservation "Moose" plate can be obtained at the Town Clerk's office and the fee is $30.00 yearly. 

Other License Plates Available

The State of New Hampshire has a variety of license plates available. The plates listed below are not available through the Newfields Town Office but can be obtained at the Department of Safety in Concord or a Motor Vehicle Substation office. Please contact the local NH Division of Motor Vehicles office or contact the Newfields Town Clerk to find out the qualifications for these plates:

  • Antique

  • Disabled Veteran

  • Former Prisoner of War

  • Handicap

  • Legislative

  • National Guard

  • Pearl Harbor

  • Purple Heart

  • Temporary

  • Veteran (Non-disabled)


Beginning January 1, 2012 boat registrations may be processed in the Town of Newfields.   You do not have to be a town resident to register your boat here. 

NH State Title Law

New Hampshire no longer has a 15-year title law. Vehicles with a model year of 2000 or newer are required to be titled forever.  Without a title, a registration cannot be obtained.

Exempt Vehicles — (January 1, 2015) any 1999 model year or older motor vehicle cannot be registered unless one of the following documents is presented in addition to the Bill of Sale normally presented:

  • Previously issued or expired NH registration (a copy of the previous registration is acceptable)

  • Valid NH or out-of-state title (a copy is acceptable)

  • Verification of VIN (Form TDMV19A) (available at the Town Offices or on-line at the State of NH DMV web pages)

For more information about all vehicle registrations, please visit the State of NH DMV web site.


Property Taxes

State and Local Property Taxes are due on July 1 and December 1 of each year. Property Tax Bills are sent to property owners in the month prior to the due date and copies can be obtained from the Tax Collector. The amount due each year is based on the Tax Rate Calculation. Please see 2014 Tax Rate for this year's Calculation

Tax Appeals

With respect to tax matters, the State of NH Board of Tax and Land Appeals has responsibility for:

  • hearing appeals of individual tax assessments, exemptions or refunds, whether levied by the State or its municipalities;  Tax Abatement Form

  • hearing petitions for reassessment and determining the adequacy of reassessments ordered by the board; and

  • determining any appeals of the equalization ratios established by the Commissioner of Revenue Administration.

For more information, rules and forms, please visit the State of NH Board of Tax and Land Appeals web page.

Tax Relief

Tax relief for low and moderate income homeowners is available. Please see the information and rules governing Tax Relief and the fill out the Form: Low and Moderate Income Homeowners Property Tax Relief if applicable.

Veterans are entitled to an exemption of $500 if they served in the military during a time of conflict prior to May 8, 1975 or received an armed forces expeditionary medal or theater of operations service medal. Applications are available at the town office and are due by March 1.

If you are elderly, disabled, blind or unable to pay your taxes due to poverty or other good cause, you may be eligible for a tax exemption, credit, abatement or deferral. For details and application information, contact the Town Office. 

Vital Records — Births, Marriages, Deaths

The fee for a certified copy of a vital record (Birth, Death, Divorce or Marriage) is $15. The fee for a subsequent copy, issued at the same time as the initial copy, is $10.  Vital records from 1983 forward are available through the Town Office.  

Marriage Licenses

The fee for a marriage license is $45. Both applicants must be present to apply for the license and fill out a short worksheet. The worksheet includes family statistics and information regarding the ceremony. Proof of identification is required. If either party was previously married, a certified copy of the divorce decree, dissolution or death certification is also required. The license is valid for 90 days. 

Registering to Vote

Anyone who needs to register to vote can do so during the Town Office hours or during sessions that the Supervisors of the Checklist hold. The sessions are posted in the paper, Town Hall and Post Office. Proof of identity and citizenship (Social Security number) are required. Voters may register to vote at the polls on Election Day.

Any registered voter may vote absentee if they are absent from the town on election day by filling out an application in person, with the town clerk prior to the election.

Upcoming Elections

Town Election                                                    March 10, 2015                                  8am-7pm

Trash & Recycling

Our trash and recycling are picked up curbside at your home each Wednesday. For more detailed information, click here. We also have a contract with the Newmarket Transfer Station for items not included in our trash and recycling pick-up arrangements. Please click here for more information from the Newmarket Transfer Station.

Annual Report

The Annual Report of the Town of Newfields is available at the Town Offices for free to Newfields residents.

Town Hall Rental

The Town of Newfields rents the upper level of Town Hall to residents. Please read the information about the process and the agreement in the Town Hall Rental Agreement  document.

Building Permits

The following building applications can be dropped off for review, along with the required fees, at the Town Offices during regular business hours.


Building permit applications  should be filled out and dropped off at the Town Offices along with the appropriate fee. Please see the document: Building Permit Requirements before applying for a Building Permit.

Building Permit Application -short form for additions and remodeling.

Swimming Pools

The construction of swimming pools and fences (as required) are governed by the laws of the Town of Newfields. Please read the  Swimming Pool Regulations.


Mailboxes are required for home mail delivery. Please see the document Mailbox Requirements before installing yours.


The construction of driveways is governed by the laws of the Town of Newfields and the State of New Hampshire. Please read, fill out, submit and receive approval of the Driveway Permit Application prior to any driveway construction.

Oil Burning Equipment

The installation of Oil Burning Equipment is governed by the State of New Hampshire; the permit application is available through the Town Offices during regular business hours. This permit must be signed by the Fire Chief or his Designee prior to installation.


Home  |  Town Boards  |  Town Services  |  Public Safety  |  Community Information  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us  |  Calendar

Copyright © 2010, All rights reserved, Town of Newfields, 65 Main Street, Newfields, NH 03856, 603.772.5070.

Please read Disclaimer on our site concerning copyright and privacy.